Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter Wonderland

Hey ya'll!  So its been a few busy months of teaching and living, and I figured its high time I let you know what's going on so we start 2012 on the same page.  In the fall, as you may have already read, I was having a case of the murky MRIs...well this has continued into the winter, with December 22nd's MRI coming up still as a Wonder, new growth or radiation effect??  Some experts go either way basically using expressions that remind me of several of the 20 classic and not always firm Magic Eight Ball answers--->
  • Signs point to yes.
  • Yes.
  • Reply hazy, try again.
  • Without a doubt.
  • My sources say no.
  • As I see it, yes.
  • You may rely on it.
  • Concentrate and ask again.
  • Outlook not so good.
  • It is decidedly so.
  • Better not tell you now.
  • Very doubtful.
  • Yes - definitely.
  • It is certain.
  • Cannot predict now.
  • Most likely.
  • Ask again later.
  • My reply is no.
  • Outlook good.
  • Don't count on it.

    As a result, I've spent a lot of time sighing, doing Netflix yoga routines, going to movies alone, and soaking in the tub sighing/box breathing and journaling in seclusion.  I've tried to stay off the google, its a scary place.  In the real world, scary things that I've heard from less than sensitive M.D.s include:  "You walked in here unassisted?"or, the always comforting  "Be sure to call me if your left side drops or you notice drooling." I would laugh if those answers came up on the Eight Ball, but they were a bit to jarring in the moment.  I've been doing  A LOT of wondering!

    Before you send me a puppy to cheer me up, please believe me that I've also been having a rich life full of friends, family, new experiences, appreciation and music.   Here's a list of specific examples of funtimes that have happened, just so you know that I'm not just getting overly pruned in the bathtub:  Karaoke has been often and amusing, Fluting with friends, I started a Flute Club at the middle school I teach at--15 members strong, Amtrak adventuring to Seattle, a visit from Abby,  go Blazers fun, and playing a 3rd new year's show with Weinland's SuperGroup., enrichment such as a solstice labyrinth walk with my dear neighbor, wow, so many good memories even during what has been a tricky time.  I'm also so incredibly thankful that my pops is doing well after a big surprise triple-bypass just 3 weeks ago.  Happy New Year indeed!!!  
  •       Today I met with an oncologist, and am so excited for her to be on my team!  She's going to take my case to the tumor board meeting next Thursday, and depending on what they decide, I may begin Temodar, which is chemotherapy delivered orally.  She will let me know next Thursday evening what was decided.  Next Wednesday I'll head up to OHSU to visit a neurooncologist to get his take on things and to see if I might qualify for an imaging study that they are doing up there.  Seems like the goal of the study is to reduce murky mri results, sounds wonderful to me.  I resolve to have more fidelity to this blog to keep folks who are interested updated with how its going over here in my wonderland. 
  •       Thank you all for your sunshine wishes and thoughts!!  I hope you are well and that your life is full of the fun parts of wonder!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to have an update. I hope that those MRIs clear up and that 2012 isn't as big of a turd as 2011 was for you. Sending you much, much, much love!! -Des

Zaidi Family said...

Sending you some clarifying MRI love. Thanks for the update. I am inspired by you at every turn, my friend! So happy to hear you are having some fun adventures!! Big hugs and kisses to you! xxoo - Stace

oviddawen said...

Much love to you, sweet Sara!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Thank you for this update Sara. I think of you often but don't always ask because I assume you might just be sick of filling everyone in. Love these posts. xo Love you!

Sherin said...

Thank you for the update, Sara. I send you much love, and my wishes for good MRI results and a much better 2012.
Love,
Sherin

Todd said...

Sara glad to hear of all your fun times and your pops getting back to full strength. Hope this year brings you the best noggin news ever :) I love you keep on smiling!

Cousin TL

K. Shawn Edgar said...

I like movies, if you ever want company in the public dark places. Although, going to movies alone is fun too.