Monday, March 28, 2011

The birds were so busy on January 28th, like they were trying to make it a regular day.

    For me it was the phone call that set time still.  It was mid-morning, January 28th, a Friday.  I was at the store picking foods out to make soup with for later.  It was just a week after payday and I was splurging.
   I had the day off from work.  The occasion was my annual MRI that was earlier that morning.  The MRI itself was a breeze, I really don't mind them at all and usually get a good nap in during their percussive purrs.  I'd only had one other "yearly MRI" before, the year before of course, about a year after my brain got fresh air in January 2009 and this turned into "normal".
   I was doing some math comparing dried mushrooms versus fresh, when my phone rang.  It was shocking, unreal when I read "KP MRI" on the screen.  I answered, using a goofy device that I use so I don't put my cell to my head.  A freindly and recognizable voice on the other end of the phone introduced herself, of course I knew who she was, darling Mariah, the nurse at my neurosurgeon's office.  After I responded by audibly swearing, rather than saying a usual "oh, how nice to hear from you!", she explained that Dr. Polin" had asked to see me as soon as possible...could I come by at 11:30?" *that gave me just an hour*, "they had a cancellation or you could come on Monday," she said to reassure me.  I gave my cart to a friendly employee and numbly explained that I wouldn't be able to buy the items.  They were cheerful about it and said they'd put things away for me and wished me the best of luck.
   A memory I have of that day is how busy the birds were in the parking lots that day.  As I walked out of the store into a sunny-ish January morning, the birds were so busy doing their birdly business, I really did think for a moment that they were trying to help me, to distract me from the air and pause that the phone call had given.
              
MRI from January 28th, 2011






1 comment:

kbebesalem said...

Sara,

The songbirds are still doing their music for you and for all of us, providing a great distraction or is it a redirection? In fact, these days their warbling is very stong and loud, so they are an army for you! Each time I hear them, I'll send energy your way.

Life is so straight forward and 'in your face' sometimes. Finding out about your 'call back' from the MRI staff while you were browsing the mushroom section made me remember the time I received a call about a positive breast cancer and subsquent surgery while I was in a bathroom stall!

Much love, Mama Bebe